LIVING WILD SCHEDULE
We are running a series of 7-day Intensive classes throughout the year.
To reserve class space send $100 check or money order to:
Lynx Vilden P.O Box 1325, Twisp, WA 98856
For more information email lynxvilden (at) gmail.com
Classes include two meals per day and all materials supplied unless otherwise stated.
Bring tent, sleeping bag and clothes suitable for seasonal conditions,
(further gear list with registration.)
A $100 non-refundable deposit will reserve a space in the class, class space is limited so early registration is recommended.
The Basic Skills Class is designed especially for beginners, though more skilled participants can also gain a lot from a class that focuses on stone tool use. Other classes demand some prior experience with crafting and outdoor living.
All classes are held on private land.
Please no pets, alcohol or smoking.
HORSES IN DRAFT $200
May 29-31 (Twisp USA)
- Learn how to harness and work with small draft horses
- Logging and driving a single horse
- Make your own halters and lead rope
- Bareback riding
- Lots of fun with sweet, well-trained animals
- Fundamentals of horse training
WILD FOOD HARVEST
June 1- 30
The focus for this month long class is on preparation of the main wild food plants of
the western mountains and plains.
The foods we harvest will provide sustenance to our meals each day and to the participants in the Four Seasons Living Wild Project that starts in September.
Identification of edible and medicinal plants.
Sustainable and ethical harvesting.
Preservation and cooking techniques.
This class will give you the time and knowledge to gather the root foods that can sustain a hunter-gatherer clan through a winter.
We will gather and process: spring beauties, yellow bells, blue camas, wild onions, bitteroots, lomatiums, balsam root seeds, nettles, bryoria lichen and more.
Steam bake in a pit oven and savor the power and energy inherent in wild foods.
Students will be responsible for providing their own foods that are not harvested from the wild.
For more information please contact me.
Maximum eight students.
- Fire by friction
- Cordage from plant and animal fiber
- Basic tools from stone, bone and wood
- Glues and bindings
- Burn bowls and utensils
- Cooking on an open fire
- Shelter building
- Plant identification and use
HORSE RIDING ADVENTURE (FRANCE)
Ferme de Fonluc
Join us for an amazing 3 day journey around the Vesere valley, visiting prehistoric sites reaching back to Neanderthal times.
Riding, walking and camping with the skills learned in the Basic Skills class and the horses of Fonluc.
Class size limited to 8
(riding experience preferred, adults only)
Ferme de Fonluc
October 1st 2015 - May 15th 2016
- Scheduled classes and set-up
- Horse work and maintenance
- Skiing or snowshoeing
- Candle making
- Singing and music
- Interns must be 21 years or older
- Have a vehicle and driver's license
- Be able to run a chainsaw
- Have experience or strong desire to work with horses
- Be physically capable and active
- Be familiar and comfortable in cold snowy winter conditions
- Provide their own food
- Have taken a Living Wild class
- Accommodations are simple with wood heat, no electricity or cell service.
- Open to 2-3 enthusiastic, hard-working interns for the Winter Season.
- Snow shelters: igloos, trenches, quinzes.
- Learn how to identify tracks of common regional animals.
- Learn to stay warm: fire, clothing, food, water.
- Learn to build and maintain a fire under winter conditions.
- Learn how to choose fiber for felting, other types of felting fibers and create warm durable Winter clothing.
- How to prepare high calorie meals
- Traveling with skis, snowshoes and toboggans.
- Making light with candles, fat lamps and torches.
- Telling songs and stories for the dark times.
BOW AND ARROW MAKING $700 (Twisp USA)
- Make a hunting quality 40+lb wooden self bow from seasoned staves
- Learn how to select and harv
- est shoots for arrows
- Bone and stone hunting points
- Blunt target tips from rawhide
- Ideal for those who have some wood working experience
- Class size limited to 6 students